This year, I have been loving to make quick and easy crochet projects. When I designed my first free crochet mug rug pattern, I was hooked and I haven’t been able to stop making them since! Today’s free crochet mug rug pattern is for the It’s Coffee Time Crochet Mug Rug. This is another quick and easy crochet pattern that makes a wonderful gift and to top it all off, there are no ends to weave in! So whether you’re making these for gifts, for market or just as a quicko project when you need to feel productive, this free crochet mug rug pattern fits the bill.
Pin this for later Save
The technique that is used for this free crochet mug rug pattern is called tapestry crochet. For this project, you’ll be carrying the unused yarn colour, inside the stitches you create, behind your work. A tail is left on either side of the project at the end to create the cute little tassels and help secure your ends. If you don’t want the tassels, you can weave in your ends if you choose but I think it adds to the rug feel of my little crochet mug rug. Plus, who really wants to weave in ends?
Gauge isn’t critical for this project, but keep in mind that not matching gauge will affect the size of your project and how much yarn that you will use. Yarn yardage given for this project is approximate and based on the gauge given.
For this project, I used my favourite multi-purpose cotton yarn: WeCrochet Dishie. You’ll need the colours Coffee and Swan (White) if you want to match my sample exactly but have fun mixing things up and using different colours. WeCrochet Dishie has some fun variegated colours which would make a funky background with a solid coloured coffee cup . If you give this free crochet mug rug pattern a try, I’d love to see your creation! Just tag me and/or use the #theloopylamb on social media so that I can see your projects and share them in my stories as well.
This project uses a colourwork chart to illustrate the coffee cup image. This chart is to be read from right to left for right-handed crocheters and left to right for my left-handed friends. If you’d prefer to have the colour changes written out for you in words, the ad-free PDF version of the pattern includes both the colour chart and the full written version of the pattern. Ad-free PDF versions of this free crochet mug rug pattern are available in both my Ravelry and Etsy shops.
Check out these other free crochet mug rug patterns:
Free Crochet Mug Rug Pattern – It’s Coffee Time Mug Rug
- U.S. Terminology
- 3.5 mm (E) Furls Crochet Hook (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 35 yds/32 m (0.63 oz/18g) of WeCrochet Dishie in Swan
- 29 yds/27 m (0.53 oz/15g) of WeCrochet Dishie in Coffee
- Tapestry Needle
If you’re planning on buying the materials for this project, please consider doing so through this affiliate link. It helps to support the blog at zero cost to you and allows me to continue to bring you great free crochet patterns like this one.
- BLO = Back Loop Only
- CH = Chain
- ST = Stitch
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- SC = Single Crochet
- FO = Finish Off
- 5.5” tall by 5.5” wide not including fringe
- 23 sts x 16 rows = 4 inches
- Gauge is not vital to the pattern but it may affect the size of your project and the amount of yarn required
- Carry unused colours and crochet over them as you work.
- This entire project is worked in rows worked in the BLO (back loops only). When reattaching your yarn at the start of a Row, attach your SLST under both loops of the first ST.
- When starting each row, leave a tail a few inches long of both main colours (swan and coffee) hanging on the edge of your work so you will have fringe on both sides.
- Each row ends but fastening off both colours, leaving a tail of a few inches to create your fringe (you’ll trim it up at the end)
- Start Rows 2-22 by reattaching the main color yarn to the first ST of the previous Row and carrying the yarn inside your stitches.
I hope you enjoyed this free crochet mug rug pattern! I’d love to see your finished It’s Coffee Time Mug Rug. Tag me on Instagram when you share your finished mug rugs for a chance to be featured. If you have any questions about this pattern or would like to leave me a message, I’d love to hear from you in the comments below. Happy hooking friends!
More tapestry crochet patterns to try:
Feel free to sell the item created by this pattern but please provide pattern credit back to me when posting online, and please provide a link to my blog: https://theloopylamb.com. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own original design. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items.
I’d love to see your finished items! Please share your finished makes by tagging the pattern on Ravelry, sharing it to our Facebook page or Instagram. Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest
Other Free Crochet Coaster and Mug Rug Patterns available on my site: