Fall is right around the corner and this year, Halloween has been on my mind a lot lately. I have had so many ideas for Halloween crochet patterns this year that I wish I had more hands to crochet them all in time for Halloween. The first of my Halloween projects that I’ve crocheted this year is this free Halloween crochet coaster pattern which I’ve named The Ghoster Coaster. This crochet coaster pattern features the image of a ghost and when you’re finished this project, there are no ends to weave in.
Pin this for later Save
This crochet halloween coaster uses a tapestry crochet colourwork chart to illustrate the ghost image. This chart is to be read from right to left for right-handed crocheters and left to right for my left-handed friends. Each block in the chart represents a single stitch in the coaster pattern. The entire crochet coaster is done in single crochet stitches so if you know how to do the single crochet stitch and how to change colours, you can follow the chart to crochet your own Ghoster Coaster. If you’d prefer to have the colour changes written out for you in words, the ad-free PDF version of the pattern includes both the colour chart and the full written version of the pattern. Ad-free PDF versions of this crochet halloween coaster pattern are available in both my Ravelry and Etsy shops.
Gauge isn’t critical for this crochet project, but keep in mind that not matching gauge will affect the size of your project and how much yarn that you will use. Yarn yardage given for this project is approximate and based on the gauge given.
If you’d like to make a set of crochet halloween coasters, I have another coaster pattern that you may be interested in checking out. My Halloween Pumpkin Crochet Coaster pattern is the same size at The Ghoster Coaster and uses the same techniques. The pattern includes both the chart and written instructions for the colour changes in the pattern. You can find the Halloween Pumpkin Crochet Coaster pattern HERE in my Ravelry shop and HERE in my Etsy shop.
Skill Level: Easy
Terminology: U.S. Terminology
- 3.5 mm (E) Furls Crochet Hook (or size needed to obtain gauge)<– Save 15% off Furls Hooks when shopping through this link and using the code LOOPYLAMB15 at the check out (#furlsinf921)
- 21 yds/19 m (0.39 oz/11g) of WeCrochet Dishie in White
- 46 yds/42 m (0.85 oz/24g) of WeCrochet Dishie in Black
- Tapestry Needle
If you’re planning on buying the materials for this project, please consider doing so through this affiliate link. It helps to support the blog at zero cost to you and allows me to continue to bring you great free crochet patterns like this one.
- BLO = Back Loop Only
- CH = Chain
- ST = Stitch
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- SC = Single Crochet
- FO = Finish Off
- 5.5” tall by 5.5” wide not including fringe
- 23 sts x 16 rows = 4 inches
- Gauge is not vital to the pattern but it may affect the size of your project and the amount of yarn required
- Carry unused colours and crochet over them as you work.
- This entire project is worked in rows worked in the BLO (back loops only). When reattaching your yarn at the start of a Row, attach your SLST under both loops of the first ST.
- When starting each row, leave a tail a few inches long of both main colours worked in that row hanging on the edge of your work so you will have fringe on both sides.
- Each row ends by fastening off both colours, leaving a tail of a few inches to create your fringe (you’ll trim it up at the end)
- Start Rows 2-22 by reattaching the main color yarn to the first ST of the previous Row and carrying the yarn inside your stitches.
Free Crochet Halloween Coaster Pattern – The Ghoster Coaster
FO. Tie several strands of the fringe together at a time in an overhand knot to create tassels along the side of your work and secure the ends. Trim the fringe so it’s all the same length. Steam block, if desired.
Feel free to sell the item created by this pattern but please provide pattern credit back to me when posting online, and please provide a link to my blog: https://www.theloopylamb.com. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own original design. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items.
Other Free Crochet Coaster and Mug Rug Patterns available on my site: