I have been pumping out Halloween crochet patterns like a crazy person lately. I have a series of Halloween crochet mug rugs and coasters for you over the next few weeks to help you get into the spirit of the season. This week I’m sharing my Crochet Spider Mug Rug – The Spooky Spider Mug Rug. This crochet mug rug pattern features the image of a cute spider and there are no ends to weave in at the end.
Pin this for later Save
To create the image of the spider on your Spooky Spider crochet mug rug, we’re going to use a technique called tapestry crochet. This technique utilizes a colourwork chart to illustrate the spider images and tell you which stitch should be which colour. This chart is to be read from right to left for right-handed crocheters and left to right for my left-handed friends. Each square in the chart represents on stitch in your project. The entire mug rug is done in single crochet stitches, so if you know how to do the single crochet stitch and how to change colours, you can create your very own Crochet Spider Mug Rug. f you’d prefer to have the colour changes written out for you in words, the ad-free PDF version of the pattern includes both the colour chart and the full written version of the pattern. Ad-free PDF versions of this crochet halloween coaster pattern are available in both my Ravelry and Etsy shops.
Gauge isn’t critical for this crochet project, but keep in mind that not matching gauge will affect the size of your project and how much yarn that you will use. Yarn yardage given for this project is approximate and based on the gauge given.
Other Crochet Halloween Mug Rugs & Coaster Patterns:
If you’d like to make a set of crochet Halloween coasters/mug rugs, I have some other mug rug patterns available (with more being added each week this month). They are all the same size and utilize the same tapestry techniques:
- The Ghoster Coaster – free pattern
- Halloween Pumpkin Crochet Coaster – premium pattern, available HERE in my Ravelry shop and HERE in my Etsy shop.
- Crochet Witch Hat Mug Rug – free pattern
- Boo! Crochet Halloween Mug Rug – free pattern
Crochet Spider Mug Rug – Free Pattern – Spooky Spider Mug Rug
- U.S. Terminology
- 3.5 mm (E) Furls Crochet Hook (or size needed to obtain gauge)<– Save 15% off Furls Hooks when shopping through this link and using the code LOOPYLAMB15 at the check out (#furlsinf1021)
- 38 yds/35 m (0.71 oz/20g) of WeCrochet Dishie in White
- 23 yds/21 m (0.42 oz/12g) of WeCrochet Dishie in Black
- Tapestry Needle
If you’re planning on buying the materials for this project, please consider doing so through this affiliate link. It helps to support the blog at zero cost to you and allows me to continue to bring you great free crochet patterns like this one.
- BLO = Back Loop Only
- CH = Chain
- ST = Stitch
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- SC = Single Crochet
- FO = Finish Off
- 5.5” tall by 5.5” wide not including fringe
- 23 sts x 16 rows = 4 inches
- Gauge is not vital to the pattern but it may affect the size of your project and the amount of yarn required
- Carry unused colours and crochet over them as you work.
- This entire project is worked in rows of single crochet worked in the BLO (back loops only). When reattaching your yarn at the start of a Row, attach your SLST under both loops of the first ST.
- When starting each row, leave a tail a few inches long of both main colours worked in that row hanging on the edge of your work so you will have fringe on both sides.
- Each row ends by fastening off both colours, leaving a tail of a few inches to create your fringe (you’ll trim it up at the end)
- Start Rows 2-22 by reattaching the main color yarn to the first ST of the previous Row and carrying the yarn inside your stitches. In rows utilizing only one colour, carry another strand of yarn inside your stitches.
FO. Tie several strands of the fringe together at a time in an overhand knot to create tassels along the side of your work and secure the ends. Trim the fringe so it’s all the same length. Steam block, if desired.
Feel free to sell the item created by this pattern but please provide pattern credit back to me when posting online, and please provide a link to my blog: https://www.theloopylamb.com. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own original design. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items.
Other Free Crochet Coaster and Mug Rug Patterns available on my site: