The holidays are fast approaching so I’ve created this crochet Christmas dress for dolls free pattern to help our dolls prepare for the holidays. This free crochet pattern creates a removable dress and shawl so that kids can play dress up with their dolls. This fun pattern is quick to make and includes a step-by-step video tutorial in addition to the written pattern.
It’s the final week of the Amigurumi Advent Calendar Crochet Along and of course, we need to finish things off with a Christmas doll outfit. At this point, our crochet dolls have a ton of crochet clothes and doll accessories but they need something special to celebrate the holidays in.
To celebrate the end of the Amigurumi Advent Calendar Crochet Along, I’m giving away two WeCrochet prize packs! Find the full giveaway rules, details and what you can win at the end of this post.
Pin This Free Pattern to Save It For Later Save It
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made through these links. All opinions are my own.*
This pattern is two parts, the dress and the shawl and are Weeks 26 & 27 of the Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL and is designed to fit my Advent Amy crochet doll pattern, which is a 10-inch doll however, it can fit many of the other free crochet doll patterns that I have available here on my blog. Other free amigurumi doll patterns available are: My Pal Pascal, My Dolly Molly & My Girl Pearl. Read more about the CAL at the CAL Homepage.
Missed the previous weeks of the CAL? No problem! You can start any time and there are already a lot of other free doll clothes patterns available – all with step-by-step video tutorials:
- Week 1: Learn how to crochet an easy doll with this amigurumi crochet doll tutorial for the legs and body.
- Week 2: Learn how to crochet the doll’s head and an easy hair cap for our dolls.
- Week 3: Learn how to crochet the doll’s arms, how to embroider eyelashes and a
nose on amigurumi, add blush to your doll and how to make our DIY advent calendars
- Week 4: Learn how to crochet a tank top for your amigurumi doll
- Weeks 5 & 6: Learn how to crochet doll shoes and a simple skirt for your doll
- Week 7: Learn how to crochet a t-shirt for your doll
- Week 8: Learn how to crochet overalls for your doll
- Week 9: Learn how to crochet a scarf for your doll
- Week 10: Learn how to make a hat for your doll with this crochet doll hat pattern
- Week 11: How to Crochet mini backpack for dolls
- Week 12: How to make a crochet doll dress
- Week 13 & 14: How to crochet doll shorts and pants
- Week 15: How to crochet a mini teddy bear
- Week 16: How to crochet a doll poncho
- Week 17: Crochet Tiered Top for Doll
- Week 18: How to Crochet a Doll Romper
- Week 19: Easy Crochet Doll Boots
- Week 20: Crochet Doll Sun Hat
- Week 21: Ruffled Crochet Doll Shirt
- Week 22: Ruffled Crochet Doll Skirt
- Week 23: Bell Sleeved Crochet Doll Dress Pattern
- Week 24: Crochet Doll Sweater
- Week 25: Colorful Bobble Dress
And there are more doll garments and accessories to come! Make sure to follow me on social media or join my email list to be notified when more free patterns for crocheted doll outfits, adorable accessories and easy crochet projects become available.
How to Crochet This Crochet Christmas Dress for Dolls:
This amigurumi doll dress is crocheted from the top-down. That means that we are starting at the neckline of the dress and working our way down to the bottom of the dress. This little dress uses two different colors: red for the body of the dress and white for the trim.
To top our dress off, we will be crocheting a rectangular shawl. My inspiration for this crochet Christmas dress was Mrs. Claus. The shawl is crocheted in a single piece, using red for the body and white for the trim. To add a bit of pizzazz we will then create some tiny pompoms that will create the ties to our shawl.
Where Can I Get a Printable Copy of this Pattern?
- You can purchase an inexpensive ad-free crochet PDF pattern with all three parts of the doll together in one convenient pdf file in my Ravelry and Etsy shop OR
- Buy the Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL Bundle in my Ravelry or Etsy shops and get this pattern and all the CAL patterns in printable bundle files.
Other Free Crochet Christmas Patterns to Check Out
- Crochet Gnome Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Holly Jolly Festive Crochet Christmas Coaster
- Easy Crochet Christmas Baubles
Important Note About The Supply List for this Project:
The supply list shown for this pattern shows the materials needed for Weeks 19 – 27 of the Amigurumi Advent Calendar Crochet Along. Not all materials will be used this week but you will need them in order to complete the remaining patterns in the CAL.
Feel free to sell the item created by this pattern but please provide pattern credit back to me when posting online, and please provide a link to my blog: https://www.theloopylamb.com. This pattern is for personal use only. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own original design. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items.
- Easy Skill Level
- US Terms
- E / 3.5 mm Crochet Hook (or whatever crochet hook size needed to match gauge) <— Save 15% on qualifying purchases at Furls Crochet through this link using the code LOOPYLAMB15 at the checkout.
- Brava Worsted Weight Yarn (100% Premium Acrylic, Worsted Weight (4), 218yds/200m, 100g/3.5oz), 1 skein each of:
- Colour A: Cream (or preferred skin colour)
- Colour B: White
- Colour C: Brindle (or preferred hair colour)
- Colour D: Mulberry
- Colour E: Lady Slipper
- Colour F: Denim
- Colour G: Black
- Colour H: Cotton Candy
- Colour I: Dove Heather
- Colour J: Freesia
- Colour K: Seraphim
- Colour L: Rouge
- Colour M: Marina
- Colour N: Almond
- Colour O: Red
- 14 – 9 mm Buttons in preferred colour(s)
- Polyester Stuffing
- 1 – 3/8” Pom Pom Maker or a piece of cardboard
- Tapestry Needle / Yarn Needle
- Multiple Stitch Markers
- Sewing Thread and Needle
- BLO = Back Loop Only
- CH = Chain
- CH SP = Chain Space
- DC = Double Crochet
- DCINC = Double Crochet Increase
- FLO = Front Loop Only
- FO = Finish Off
- HDC = Half Double Crochet
- MC = Magic Circle / Magic Ring
- PSC = Picot Single Crochet
- RS = Right Side
- SC = Single Crochet
- SCDEC = Single Crochet Decrease
- SCINC = Single Crochet Increase
- SK = Skip
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- SP(s) = Space(s)
- ST = Stitch
- WS = Wrong Side
Special Techniques and Stitches:
- Invisible Finish/Join: FO leaving a long tail. Thread the tail onto a tapestry needle. Place the tapestry needle through the top of the 2nd ST from front to back and pull through. Place tip of needle into top of the last ST of the round, under the back loop of the stitch, and pull through to the back of the work. Weave in the end. Learn how to do this with my invisible finish/join tutorial.
- Picot Single Crochet (PSC): Insert hook into indicated stitch, yarn over hook and pull through stitch. Yarn over and pull through one loop on the hook three times. Yarn over and pull through both loops on the hook. Learn how to do this with my Picot Single Crochet Tutorial.
- Clothing to fit Advent Amy Doll which is approximately 10.5” tall.
- Clothing: 4 sts across x 6 rows = 1” square.
- Gauge is important for ensuring that all of the parts of your doll fit appropriately. If you don’t plan to match gauge, ensure that you maintain a consistent tension throughout your project.
- Most of the pieces are worked back and forth in turned rows, unless noted. Read instructions for each piece carefully before starting to crochet.
- For pieces worked in continuous rounds, a stitch marker is used to mark the first ST of the round and is moved up in each consecutive round.
You can purchase an inexpensive ad-free PDF version of this pattern with all three parts of the doll together + 1 outfit in one convenient file in my Ravelry and Etsy shops
Buy the Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL Bundle in my Ravelry or Etsy shops and get printable versions of all of the CAL patterns at once.
Crochet Christmas Dress for Dolls Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
Crochet Christmas Dress for Dolls
Using Colour O, CH 36.
Row 1 (RS): SC in the 7th CH from the hook and each CH across. (30 STs & CH-6 loop for buttonhole)
Row 2: CH 1 and turn. SC 2, SCINC, (SC 4, SCINC) x 5, SC 2. (36)
Row 3: CH 1 and turn. SC 4, CH 8, SK 10, SC 8, CH 8, SK 10, SC 4. (16 STs & 2 CH-8 SPs)
Row 4: CH 1 and turn. SC 3, SCINC, SC in each CH, SCINC, SC 6, SCINC, SC in each CH, SCINC, SC 3. (36)
Row 5: CH 1 and turn. SC in each ST across. (36)
Row 6: CH 1 and turn. (SC 5, SCINC) x 6. (42)
Row 7: CH 1 and turn. SC in each ST across. (42)
Row 8: CH 1 and turn. SC 3, SCINC, (SC 6, SCINC) x 5, SC 3. (48)
Row 9: CH 6 and turn. SK 6 CH, SC in each ST across. (48 STs & CH-6 loop for buttonhole)
Rows 10 – 19: CH 1 and turn. SC in each ST across. (48)
Row 20: CH 1 and turn. SC in each ST across. Join. (48)
Change to Colour B
Rows 21 – 23: CH 1 and turn. SC in each ST across. Join last ST to first ST with a SL ST. (48)
FO and weave in ends. Using sewing needle and thread, sew buttons on the dress, across from the CH-6 loops from Row 1 and Row 9. Use the CH-6 loop to fasten the dress closed by slipping them over the buttons once on the doll.
Shawl for Christmas Dress
Using Colour O, CH 37.
Row 1 (RS): SC in the 2nd CH from the hook and each CH across. (36)
Rows 2 – 6: CH 1 and turn. SC in each ST across. (36)
Change to Colour B
Round 1: CH 1 and turn. For this row, we will be working around the perimeter of our shawl to create a border. SC in the first ST and each ST across the row until 1 ST remains. 3 SC in the last ST. Turn work so you are working along the short side/into the ends of the row. SC in the end of each row down the short side of the shawl. 3 SC in the next corner. SC into the remaining loop of your chain from Row 1, working 3 SC into the last ST. SC in the end of each row down the short side of the shawl. SC 2 in the next corner (which is worked into the same ST as the first ST of this row). Join last ST to first ST with a SL ST. (ST count may be vary. due to end of row placement)
Rounds 2 – 3: CH 1 but DO NOT turn. SC in each ST around, placing 3 SCs into each corner ST. Join.
FO and weave in ends.
Using pom pom maker and Colour B, make 2 pom poms. When finishing your pom poms, leave a tail of at least 10″. Thread tails onto a tapestry needle and use the tail to secure the pom pom to a corner of the short side of the shawl by stitching it in place. Repeat with second pom pom on the opposite corner of the shawl. Weave in ends.
I hope that you enjoyed this crochet christmas dress for dolls free pattern and tutorial. You voted and decided that our next Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL will be to crochet some boy dolls! Join my newsletter to be kept up-to-date on when the next free crochet along starts and when other free crochet patterns are released: Join my free newsletter here.
I’d love to see your beautiful finished project! Share your adorable doll sporting their new crochet Christmas dress and shawl with me on social media by tagging me @theloopylamb or using #theloopylambCAL in your posts.
Join The Loopy Lamb Crochet Community Facebook Group to connect with other crafty friends and share your fabulous projects made with this crochet Christmas dress for dolls free pattern! Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing.
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TheLoopyLamb
YouTube: The Loopy Lamb YouTube Channel
Newsletter: Sign up for my newsletter!
To celebrate the end of our Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL, I am giving away two WeCrochet prize packs! Each Prize Pack contains:
- A Brava Mini Pack (24 mini skeins of WeCrochet Brava Worsted Weight Yarn)
- A Bright Crochet Hook Set (9 crochet hooks)
- A Crocheting Unicorn Enamel Pin
This giveaway on The Loopy Lamb is open to Canadian and U.S. participants (except where void by law, void in Quebec) and ends Friday, November 25, 2022 at 11:45pm Eastern Standard time. The winners will be chosen on November 28, 2022 and notified by email.
To enter, use the King Sumo form below. If you are on mobile and have difficulty entering, please use a desktop computer to enter. Only the Email and Name option is mandatory – all other tasks are optional, for bonus entries only.