Nothing completes a cute summer outfit like a new sunhat! This week I’m sharing a crochet sun hat free pattern, designed for amigurumi dolls that is a quick and easy project, perfect for little girls or boys that like to play dress up with their dolls. This summer hat pattern includes the written pattern as well as a step-by-step video tutorial to help ensure your success in making this project.
Pin This Free Pattern to Save It For Later Save It
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made through these links. All opinions are my own.*
This pattern is Week 20 of the Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL and is designed to fit my Advent Amy doll, which is a 10-inch doll however, it can fit many of the other free crochet doll patterns that I have available here on my blog. Read more about the CAL at the CAL Homepage.
Missed the previous weeks of the CAL? No problem! You can start any time and there are already a lot of other free crochet doll clothes patterns available.
- Week 1: Learn how to crochet an easy doll with this amigurumi crochet doll tutorial for the legs and body.
- Week 2: Learn how to crochet the doll’s head and an easy hair cap for our dolls.
- Week 3: Learn how to crochet the doll’s arms, how to embroider eyelashes and a
nose on amigurumi, add blush to your doll and how to make a DIY advent calendar
- Week 4: Learn how to crochet a tank top for your amigurumi doll
- Weeks 5 & 6: Learn how to crochet doll shoes and a simple skirt for your doll
- Week 7: Learn how to crochet a t-shirt for your doll
- Week 8: Learn how to crochet overalls for your doll
- Week 9: Learn how to crochet a scarf for your doll
- Week 10: Learn how to make a hat for your doll with this crochet doll hat pattern
- Week 11: How to Crochet mini backpack for dolls
- Week 12: How to crochet an amigurumi doll dress
- Week 13 & 14: How to crochet doll shorts and pants
- Week 15: How to crochet a mini teddy bear
- Week 16: How to crochet a doll poncho
- Week 17: Crochet Tiered Top for Doll
- Week 18: How to Crochet a Doll Romper
- Week 19: Easy Crochet Doll Boots
And there are more doll garments and accessories to come! Make sure to follow me on social media or join my email list to be notified when more free patterns for crocheted doll outfits, adorable accessories and easy crochet projects become available.
How do you make a crochet sun hat for a doll?
This pattern is worked from the top-down in a continuous spiral using primarily single crochet stitches for the main part of the hat and then double crochet stitches are used to create a perfectly wide brim for our crochet sun hat. Gauge is important for ensuring that your hat will fit your doll’s head however if you have not been matching gauge, having the hat worked from the top-down will enable you to try the hat on your doll as you work to see if you need to make any adjustments.
Once the crown of the hat is established, we’ll continue on to the body of the hat and we’ll change colors to create a stripe on the sun hat. After the body of the hat is finished, we’ll add a bit of a floppy-looking brim to the hat.
You can customize this cheerful sun hat by substituting your favorite colors or adding some embellishments like some ribbon, a bow or even a small flower. (My Bob & Betty Bird pattern has a small flower that would be great for this hat!)
This crochet doll sun hat pattern is one of two sun hats that I have designed for this doll. If you have purchased the printable PDF file of the bundle, there is a second sun hat bonus pattern included in the bundle to fit the bonus hair cap that has a bun rather than pigtails.
Did you know that I have another crochet hat pattern available for this doll? Check out the Easy Crochet Doll Hat pattern which is a cute winter hat with a little pompom on top.
Other Free Crochet Patterns with Video Tutorials to Check Out
Where Can I Get a Printable Copy of this Pattern?
- You can purchase an inexpensive ad-free crochet PDF pattern with all three parts of the doll together in one convenient pdf file in my Ravelry and Etsy shop OR
- Buy the Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL Bundle in my Ravelry or Etsy shops and get this pattern and all the CAL patterns in printable bundle files.
Important Note About The Supply List for this Project:
The supply list shown for this pattern shows the materials needed Weeks 19 – 27 of the Amigurumi Advent Calendar Crochet Along. Not all materials will be used this week but you will need them in order to complete the remaining patterns in the CAL.
Feel free to sell the item created by this pattern but please provide pattern credit back to me when posting online, and please provide a link to my blog: https://www.theloopylamb.com. This pattern is for personal use only. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own original design. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items.
- U.S. Terminology
- E / 3.5 mm Crochet Hook (or whatever hook size needed to match gauge) <— Save 15% on qualifying purchases at Furls Crochet through this link using the code LOOPYLAMB15 at the checkout.
- Brava Worsted Weight Yarn (100% Premium Acrylic, Worsted Weight (4), 218yds/200m, 100g/3.5oz), 1 skein each of:
- Colour A: Cream (or preferred skin colour)
- Colour B: White
- Colour C: Brindle (or preferred hair colour)
- Colour D: Mulberry
- Colour E: Lady Slipper
- Colour F: Denim
- Colour G: Black
- Colour H: Cotton Candy
- Colour I: Dove Heather
- Colour J: Freesia
- Colour K: Seraphim
- Colour L: Rouge
- Colour M: Marina
- Colour N: Almond
- Colour O: Red
- 14 – 9 mm Buttons in preferred colour(s)
- Polyester Stuffing
- 1 – 3/8” Pom Pom Maker or a piece of cardboard
- Tapestry Needle / Yarn Needle
- Multiple Stitch Markers
- Sewing Thread and Needle
- BLO = Back Loop Only
- CH = Chain
- CH SP = Chain Space
- DC = Double Crochet
- DCINC = Double Crochet Increase
- FLO = Front Loop Only
- FO = Finish Off
- HDC = Half Double Crochet
- MC = Magic Circle / Magic Ring
- PSC = Picot Single Crochet
- RS = Right Side
- SC = Single Crochet
- SCDEC = Single Crochet Decrease
- SCINC = Single Crochet Increase
- SK = Skip
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- SP(s) = Space(s)
- ST = Stitch
- WS = Wrong Side
Special Techniques and Stitches:
- Invisible Finish/Join: FO leaving a long tail. Thread the tail onto a tapestry needle. Place the tapestry needle through the top of the 2nd ST from front to back and pull through. Place tip of needle into top of the last ST of the round, under the back loop of the stitch, and pull through to the back of the work. Weave in the end. Learn how to do this with my invisible finish/join tutorial.
- Picot Single Crochet (PSC): Insert hook into indicated stitch, yarn over hook and pull through stitch. Yarn over and pull through one loop on the hook three times. Yarn over and pull through both loops on the hook. Learn how to do this with my Picot Single Crochet Tutorial.
- Clothing to fit Advent Amy Doll which is approximately 10.5” tall.
- Clothing: 4 sts across x 6 rows = 1” square.
- Gauge is important for ensuring that all of the parts of your doll fit appropriately. If you don’t plan to match gauge, ensure that you maintain a consistent tension throughout your project.
- Most of the pieces are worked back and forth in turned rows, unless noted. Read instructions for each piece carefully before starting to crochet.
- For pieces worked in continuous rounds, a stitch marker is used to mark the first ST of the round and is moved up in each consecutive round.
You can purchase an inexpensive ad-free PDF version of this pattern with all three parts of the doll together + 1 outfit in one convenient file in my Ravelry and Etsy shops
Buy the Amigurumi Advent Calendar CAL Bundle in my Ravelry or Etsy shops and get printable versions of all of the CAL patterns at once.
Easy Crochet Doll Sun Hat Free Pattern Step-By-Step Video Tutorial:
(worked in continuous rounds)
Round 1: Using Colour L make a MC and work 6 SC into the MC. (6)
Round 2: (SCINC) x 6. (12)
Round 3: (SC 1, SCINC) x 6. (18)
Round 4: SC 1, SCINC, (SC 2, SCINC) x 5, SC 1. (24)
Round 5: (SC 3, SCINC) x 6. (30)
Round 6: SC 2, SCINC, (SC 4, SCINC) x 5, SC 2. (36)
Round 7: (SC 5, SCINC) x 6. (42)
Round 8: SC 3, SCINC, (SC 6, SCINC) x 5, SC 3. (48)
Check out these other great free crochet patterns
- Crochet Animal Ears Headbands
- Holly Jolly Festive Crochet Christmas Coaster
- Holiday Snuggles Throw Blanket
Round 9: (SC 11, SCINC) x 4. (52)
Rounds 10 – 12: SC around. (52)
FO with invisible finish (see special techniques). Join Colour B to BLO of first ST of Round 12.
Round 13: Working in BLO, SC around. (52)
Rounds 14 – 15: SC around. (52)
FO with invisible finish. Join Colour L to FLO of first ST of Round 15.
Round 16: CH 2 (counts as first ST). Working in the FLO, 2 DC in the same ST as join. DC, *3 DC in the next ST, DC; repeat from * until end. Join last ST to first ST with a SL ST. (104)
FO and weave in ends.
I hope that you enjoyed this free crochet sun hat pattern for dolls. I’d love to see your beautiful finished project! Share your project with me on social media by tagging me @theloopylamb or using #theloopylambCAL in your posts.
Join The Loopy Lamb Crochet Community Facebook Group to connect with other crocheters and share your fabulous projects made with this pattern! Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing.
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TheLoopyLamb
YouTube: The Loopy Lamb YouTube Channel
Newsletter: Sign up for my newsletter!