I love to make easy patterns for crochet hats that make a great gift so when a friend asked me to make a lacy crochet hat for them, I knew I would have to share the pattern here with you. This free lacy crochet hat pattern for the Savvy Muse Beanie is made with worsted weight yarn and it’s gorgeous stitches are easy enough for an advanced beginner to do.
Pin This Pattern to Save It For Later Save It
Add it to your Ravelry Queue
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made through these links. All opinions are my own.*
This project is super quick to work up so it’s as close to instant gratification as you can get with handmade items. Once you’re done making your Savvy Muse Beanie you should check out the other two free crochet patterns that are a part of the Hat of the Month Club this month!
The yarn that I used for this lacy crochet hat pattern is called Muse Aran Handpainted from WeCrochet. I did a review of this gorgeous yarn a little while ago and I really loved it (check out the full yarn review here).
I have this yarn in two other colors so I think I’ll make a new hat for myself in the variegated colorway that I have called Devotion Handpainted. I love the easy repeat rows of this pattern and how quickly it works up. I hope you will love it too.
How Do You Crochet a Lace Beanie?
This lace crochet hat is worked from the top-down. We’ll start with simple HDC stitches and working our HDC stitches into the third loop until our hat is the desired size.
Gauge is important for ensuring that the hat will fit as you expect it will so make sure that you take the time to check your gauge (don’t worry, I’ve included a reminder in the pattern just in case you get too excited and start without checking).
Once we reach that desired size, we will crochet the body of the hat using a combination of DC Cluster stitch rows and HDC rows. Our stitch counts will not change after we reach this point. I decided to use DC Cluster stitches instead of shell stitches that many people come to expect from lacy crochet projects to make it simpler and quicker to crochet.
Check Out This Collection of Free Crochet Hat Patterns
- Into the Fade Beanie
- Crochet Tartan Beanie (and matching cowl pattern)
- Snowella Crochet Snowman Hat Pattern
Feel free to sell the item created with this free pattern but please provide pattern credit back to me when posting online, and please provide a link to my blog: https://theloopylamb.com. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own original design. This pattern is for personal use only and is not for commerical distribution. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items.
- US Terms
- J / 6.0 mm Crochet Hook(or whatever hook size needed to match gauge)
- WeCrochet Muse Hand Painted Aran (100% Superwash Merino Wool, Aran/Heavy Worsted (4), 114yds/104m, 100g/3.5oz), 1 hank in Savvy
- Tapestry Needle / Yarn Needle
- Stitch Markers
- CH = Chain
- DC = Double Crochet
- DCCL = Double Crochet Cluster
- FO = Finish Off
- HDC = Half Double Crochet
- HDCINC = Half Double Crochet Increase / Two HDC STs in the Same ST
- MC = Magic Circle / Magic Ring
- SK = Skip
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- ST(S) = Stitches
- YO = Yarn Over
Special Stitches & Techniques:
- DC Cluster Stitch: *YO, insert hook into the first stitch, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through first two loops, YO, SK next stitch, insert hook into next ST, YO, pull up a loop, YO, pull through first two loops, YO and pull through all three loops on hook.
- HDC in the 3rd Loop: YO, insert hook through the third loop found on the back of the HDC ST, YO, pull up a loop, YO and pull through all three loops.
- Adult Woman – To fit head circumference 21 – 22”
- Approx. 10.25” across and 8.5” tall when laid flat.
- Approx. 14 sts x 9 rows = 4 inches
- Instructions within the brackets () are to be repeated the number of times specified next to the brackets.
- This pattern is worked in joined rounds. Do not turn at the end of each round. I recommend using a stitch marker is used to keep track of the beginning of each round.
- Gauge is vital to ensuring your hat fits properly. Take time to check your gauge.
Free Lacy Crochet Hat Pattern – Savvy Muse Beanie
Round 1: Make a MC and HDC 8 into the MC. Join last ST to first ST with a SL ST (from here on out referred to as “Join”. (8)
Round 2: CH 1. HDCINC in each ST around. Join. (16)
Round 3: CH 1. (HDC, HDCINC) x 8. Join. (24)
Round 4:CH 1. (HDC 2, HDCINC) x 8. Join. (32)
Round 5: CH 1. Working in the third loop, (HDC 3, HDCINC) x 8. Join. (40)
Round 6: CH 1. (HDC 4, HDCINC) x 8. Join. (48)
Round 7: CH 1. (HDC 5, HDCINC) x 8. Join. (56)
Round 8: CH 1. Working in the third loop, (HDC 6, HDCINC) x 8. Join. (64)
Round 9: CH 1. (HDC 7, HDCINC) x 8. Join. (72)
Gauge Check: Piece should measure 7.25” across at this point.
Round 10: CH 2 (counts as first leg of DCCL here and throughout), SK 1, DC in the next ST, CH 2, *DCCL, CH 2, repeat from * until end. Join.
More Free Crochet Hat Patterns to Check Out
- Arctic Gem Beanie
- Crochet Lobster Hat – In sizes for the whole family!
- Shifting Posts Beanie (and matching cowl)
Round 11: CH 1. HDC in each ST and CH around.
Round 12: Repeat Round 10.
Rounds 13 – 14: Repeat Round 11.
Round 15: CH 1, HDC in the 3rd loop of each ST around. Join.
Round 16: Repeat Round 10.
Round 17: Repeat Round 11.
Round 18: Repeat Round 10.
Round 19: Repeat Round 11.
FO and weave in ends.
Optional: Add a pom pom to your hat. I personally love the look of a faux fur pom pom but this hat looks great with or without one.
I hope that you enjoyed making your Savvy Muse Beanie with this free lacy crochet hat pattern! Want to make a matching cowl? Check out the Savvy Muse Cowl a free one skein crochet cowl pattern! I’d love to see your beautiful finished project! Share your lacy hat with me on social media by tagging me @theloopylamb or tagging me in your posts.
Looking for another great crochet hat pattern? Check out the Lakeview Cabled Beanie.
Join The Loopy Lamb Crochet Community Facebook Group to connect with other crocheters and share your fabulous projects made with this free one skein crochet cowl pattern! Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest so you don’t miss a thing.
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TheLoopyLamb
YouTube: The Loopy Lamb YouTube Channel
Newsletter: Sign up for my newsletter!