Caron Cotton Funnel Cakes is a new line of cotton yarn available exclusively at Michaels Stores and today I’ll be sharing my review of this yarn with you. I’ll be sharing my experience working with the yarn, some things to keep in mind when choose this yarn for your projects and I’ll show you this yarn worked up in crochet swatches.
Pin this for later Save
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases made through these links. All opinions are my own.*
Let’s go over the yarn label information so we know what we’re talking about here:
Caron Cotton Funnel Yarn Label Information & Other Details:
- Current Number of Colourways Available: 18 – 9 solid colours and 9 variegated. Check them out here on the Michaels website.
- Yarn Type: Wrap-spun
- Fiber Content: 100% Cotton
- Weight: 4 (Worsted)
- Skein/Cake Size: 250g / 8.8oz
- Yardage: 425 yd / 389m
- Suggested Hook Size: 5 mm (H/8)
- Suggested Needle Size: 4.5mm (US 7)
- Crochet Gauge: 14 sts x 16 rows = 4″
- KnittingGauge: 18 sts x 24 rows = 4″
- Care: Machine Washable & Dryable. Do not iron or dry clean.
- Other Yarn Weights Available?: No.
Check out the video version of this yarn review:
On a supply run recently to Michaels, I noticed that there was a new yarn in-store: the Caron Cotton Funnel Cakes. The normal cotton cakes don’t seem to be available in solid colours this year so I thought I’d give this new yarn a try. The colours I purchased are Fog and Cumulus.
What’s the Difference Between Caron Cotton Cakes & Funnel Cakes?
The three most noticeable differences between the Caron Cotton Cakes and the Caron Cotton Funnel Cakes are:
- The Funnel Cakes are 100% cotton where the Cotton Cakes are a cotton/acrylic blend.
- The Funnel Cakes are a wrap-spun yarn (essentially a roving yarn with a thread wrapped around the ply to give it some texture) where the regular cotton cakes are a smooth, plied strand.
- Funnel Cakes have 425 yds/cake for $14.99 CAD where the Cotton Cakes have a whopping 530 yds for $11.99 CAD.
What Is It Like To Crochet With?
The yarn itself feels delightfully soft in both the cake and after it is worked up. The yarn is great to work with and I didn’t have any issues with splitting while I crocheted with it. I used a 5.5mm (I) hook for my swatch and it created a surprising amount of drape.
The strand construction gives great stitch definition and an almost rustic look to the fabric. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this yarn. I’d likely use this yarn for projects like bags, accesories and home decor type projects like blankets or pillows.
What Does Caron Cotton Funnel Cakes Look Like In Crochet Stitches?
As I mentioned above, I used a 5.5.mm (I) hook for my crochet swatch below. I started my swatch with a few rows of single crochet followed by a few rows each of half double and double crochet. The texture in the yarn strand gives the stitches a pop of definition and sometimes an almost knobbly look.
Things to Keep In Mind When Using This Yarn
Although the yarn was great to work with, there are a few things to keep in mind before choosing this yarn for your next crochet project:
- Fuzzing/Pilling: Because this is similar to a roving-style yarn, the yarn is prone to fuzzing. Anytime you have fuzzing like this, you have a higher potential for pilling later on.
- It’s Heavy: This yarn is heavier when worked up so keep that in mind if you’re considering choosing it for a garment project.
- It May Change the Look Of Your Intended Project: The added texture from the yarn strand may change the way your project looks if the sample is designed is a different yarn. Take time to swatch for your project in the intended stitch to make sure you like the look of it before committing.
Caron Cotton Funnel Cakes Yarn Free Crochet Patterns
This list includes a mix of patterns designed specificially for this yarn and other free patterns that you could also use this yarn for:
- Yarnspirations Free Patterns using Caron Cotton Funnel Cakes
- Comfy Spring Cardi (available in sizes XS – 5XL!)
- Spring Breeze Shawlette
- Colour Block Makeup Bag
- It’s All Greek To Me Blanket