Whether you need a gift for the coffee lover in your life or you just want something cute to put on your hot drinks (or cold drinks) to keep your hands comfy, you’re in the right place. My free Sloth Crochet Coffee Cozy pattern is a quick project made with basic crochet stitches so it’s accessible to beginner crocheters. I’ve included some photo tutorial support to assist you with the assembly process as well.
Pin it for later Save
*This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you. All opinions are my own.*
Want to print out this pattern? Grab the printable, ad-free PDF pattern in my Ravelry shop.
What Kind of Yarn Can I Use to Make My Crochet Cup Cozy?
While I chose to use an acrylic yarn for my cup cozy, you can use yarns with different fiber contents to make this project. Feel free to choose another fiber choice like a wool yarn or your favorite cotton yarns.
Choosing Colors To Make Your Crochet Coffee Sleeve
This crochet coffee cozy pattern looks great in different colors! I recommend choosing three different solid colors that are different shades of the same color i.e. three different shades of pink or purple.
Other Free Crochet Sloth Patterns Available on my Blog
If you love sloths, you may be interested in checking out some of my other free crochet sloth patterns that I have here on my blog:
Feel free to sell the finished item created with this free crochet pattern but please provide pattern credit back to me when posting online, and please provide a link to my blog: https://theloopylamb.com. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own patterns or design. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items. This pattern is for personal use only.
- US terms
- Worsted weight yarn in a light brown, dark brown and a buff colour. I used Bernat Premium in Cafe au Lait for the body (Colour A), Red Heart Super Saver in Buff for the face (Colour B) and Loops & Thread Impeccable in Chocolate brown (Colour C) for the dark spots around the ends
- G / 4 mm crochet hook
- 9mm black shank/mushroom buttons or safety eyes
- Stitch Marker
- Tapestry needle for sewing together and weaving in ends
- Sewing Needle & Thread (optional)
(Click link to view stitch tutorials)
- CH(s) = Chain(s)
- FO = Finish Off
- HDC = Half Double Crochet
- RS = Right Side
- SC = Single Crochet
- SCINC = Single Crochet Increase / 2 Single Crochet Stitches in the Same Stitch
- SCDEC = Single Crochet Decrease
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- ST(s) = Stitch(es)
Special Stitches & Techniques:
- Invisible Join: FO leaving a long tail. Thread the tail onto a tapestry needle. Place the tapestry needle through the top of the 2nd ST from front to back and pull through. Place tip of needle into top of the last ST of the round, under the back loop of the stitch, and pull through to the back of the work. Weave in the end. Find a tutorial on my blog Check out my Invisible Join tutorial here.
- Fits most fast-food takeout coffee cups. The Coffee Cozy Body can easily be adjusted to fit whichever cup you’re using. Adjust the number of chains to your desired length and follow the rest of the instructions as written.
- The Coffee Cozy Body is worked in joined rows. Do not turn at the end of the row.
- I recommend placing a stitch marker in the first and/or last stitch of the rows of the Coffee Cozy Body to avoid picking up or losing stitches.
- The Face Patch is worked in a continuous spiral. Do not join at the end of the round unless specified. Place a stitch marker in the first stitch of the round and move it up in subsequent rounds to keep track of the first stitch.
Sloth Crochet Coffee Cozy Pattern
Coffee Cozy Body:
Using Colour A (Cafe au Lait), CH 35. Taking care not to twist the chain, join the last CH to the first CH with a SL ST.
Row 1 (RS): CH 1 (do not turn). HDC in the first CH and in each CH around. Join last ST to the first ST with a SL ST (from here on out referred to as “Join”). (35)
Rows 2 – 8: CH 1. HDC in the first ST and in each ST around. Join.
FO and weave in ends. Set aside for assembly.
Using Colour B, CH 7.
Round 1: SCINC in the 2nd CH from the hook. SC in the next 4 CHs, work 4 SC STs in the last CH. Working on the other side of the chain, SC 4, SCINC in last CH. (16)
Round 2: SCINC in the first and second ST, SC 4, SCINC in the next 4 STs, SC 4, SCINC in the last 2 STs. (24)
Round 3: SCINC in the first 4 STs, SC 4, SCINC in the next 8 STs, SC 4, SCINC in the last 4 STs. (40)
Round 4: SC in each ST around.
FO using the invisible join (see special stitches and techniques), leaving a long yarn tail to sew the Face Patch onto the Coffee Cozy Body.
Set aside for assembly.
Eye Patches (Make 2)
Using Colour C, CH 4.
Round 1: SCINC in the 2nd CH from the hook. SC, work 5 SC in the last CH. Working on the other side of the CH, SC, work 3 SC in the last CH. (12)
FO using the invisible join (see special stitches and techniques), leaving a long yarn tail to sew the Eye Patches onto the face.
Set aside for assembly.
Assembing your Sloth Crochet Coffee Cozy:
- With the RS of the Cup Cozy Body facing you, use the yarn tail to sew the Face Patch onto the Cup Cozy Body.
- Place the mushroom button through the small gap created when you put 5 SCs in the last CH of the Eye Patch (see images below). Sew button to the eye patch using sewing needle and thread or a piece of yarn in Colour C and yarn needle. Repeat with the other eye patch. Proceed with Step 3.
- If you’re using safety eyes: If you have a hard time finding black shank buttons you can also use safety eyes. To use safety eyes, insert the safety eye through the last CH in the eye patch (like instructed for the mushroom button – see images below). Then position your Eye Patch at a slight angle on one side and push the safety eye post through the Face Patch. Put the back on the safety eye post. Repeat with the other eye and Eye Patch.
4. Position each eye patch on the face, slightly overlapping the edge of the face and sew onto cup cozy.
5. Using a length of yarn in Colour C, add a small nose between the eyes, approximately 3 STs wide.
6. Use yarn tail on the Face Patch to sew the Face Patch onto the Coffee Cozy Body.
7. Weave in ends.
If you enjoyed this free sloth coffee cozy pattern, please pin it and share it. I love seeing pictures of your completed projects! Use the tag #theloopylamb when sharing on Instagram.
Got questions? Drop me a comment below and I’ll do what I can to help!
I’d love to see your crochet creations made with my sloth coffee cozy crochet pattern! Share your cute coffee cozies with me on social media by tagging me @theloopylamb or using #theloopylamb in your posts.
Join The Loopy Lamb Crochet Community Facebook Group to connect with other crafty friends and share your fabulous projects made with this mini amigurumi ghost pattern!
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest so you always know when crochet product reviews, crochet tutorials, giveaways and new free crochet patterns are posted here on the blog. Happy Crocheting friends!
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/TheLoopyLamb
YouTube: The Loopy Lamb YouTube Channel
Newsletter: Sign up for my newsletter!