Hello again! I’m back this week with another free crochet pattern – the Polar Puff Messy Bun Hat free crochet pattern. This hat was created when I received a custom order for a messy bun hat with loads of texture. The client had seen my post on Instagram for my Ava Cowl and loved the puff stitches. She wanted a messy bun hat that was warm and had a ton of texture so I wanted to make sure I included a few different textures to give the hat some variety. After discussing materials, we agreed that I would use the Caron X Pantone yarn for her hat. I knew exactly what I wanted to make her and set out to making it happen.
Pin it for later Save
After playing around with some designs, the Polar Puff Messy Bun Hat was born. This messy bun hat free crochet pattern works up quickly and is good for a beginner that wants to try a few different types of stitches in a single, small project. Like my Arctic Gem Beanie, this pattern features a ribbed band, made with half double crochet stitches done in the back loops only.
The messy bun hat free crochet pattern calls for 2 skeins of Caron x Pantone yarn however, you will not use all of the second skein.
An ad-free version of this pattern can be purchase in my Etsy shop and in my Ravelry shop for a small fee which helps keep my patterns free.
The Polar Puff Messy Bun Hat
Skill Level: Intermediate
- 2 skeins of Caron X Pantone Yarn in Morning Blues
- 5.5 mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
- CH = Chain
- SC = Single Crochet
- SCDEC = Single Crochet Decrease
- HDC = Half Double Crochet
- DC = Double Crochet
- DCDEC = Double Crochet Decrease
- BPDC = Back Post Double Crochet
- FPDC = Front Post Double Crochet
- SL ST = Slip Stitch
- BLO = Back Loops Only
- FO = Finish Off
- Puff Stitch: Yarn over (YO) and insert hook into designated stitch. YO and draw through stitch and pull up to height of previous stitch (or chain). YO and insert hook into same stitch, YO and pull through stitch and make it the same height as previous stitch 4 more times. YO and pull through all loops on hook. CH1 to secure. (Check out my crochet Puff Stitch Tutorial)
- HDC in the 3rd Loop: Yarn over (YO) and insert hook into loop on the back of the stitch, under the V. YO and pull up a loop. YO and pull through all three loops on hook. Find a HDC in the 3rd loop tutorial here.
- One Size – Adult
- 6.5 inches tall x 10 inches wide.
- 8 sts across x 7 rows (rows 1 – 7 of the beginning of the hat body) = 2” square
- After the brim is completed, the body of the hat is worked in the round from the bottom up. The end of each round is joined with a sl st.
- Instructions within the ** are to be repeated.
- CH 2s do NOT count as a ST at the beginning of Rounds unless otherwise noted.
- I’ve used the Pantone numbers on the packaging to note which colour is used and my description of the colour next to the Pantone number for those that may no longer have the packaging. A picture of the tag is included here as reference.
Polar Puff Messy Bun Hat Free Pattern:
(Using the darkest teal 19-4024)
Row 1: HDC in 2nd CH from hook. HDC 6. Ch 1 and turn. (7 sts)
Row 2: HDC in 1st ST. HDC 5 in BLO. HDC in last ST, under both loops. Ch 1 and turn. (7 sts)
Repeat Row Two until your band is approximately 18.5” long. You can make the band a little shorter or longer than that if you need to. Generally, a good length for a band for an adult is between 18” – 19”: long when laid flat. Do not stretch. When completed, fold the band in half and SL ST the two sides together. Turn the piece so the seam is on the inside and the right side is facing you.
Round 1: (Still using 19-4024) CH 1. SC in the first ST. SC 71 evenly around the top of the band. Join with a SL ST. (72 sts)
(Switch to 144089 – the lightest teal)
Round 2: CH 2. HDC in the 1st ST and in each ST around. Join with a SL ST. (72 sts)
Round 3: CH 3. Puff stitch in the 2nd ST, skip the next ST. *Puff ST in next ST and sk the next ST* until end. Join with SL ST to top of CH (From here on out referred to simply as “join”). (72 sts)
Round 4: CH 2. HDC in the 1st ST and in each ST around. Join. (72 sts)
(Switch to 17-5034 – the next lightest teal)
Round 5: CH 2. HDC in the third loop of the 1st ST and in each ST around. Join. (72 sts)
Round 6: CH 2. FPDC around the 1st ST (not the CH). BPDC around the next ST. *FPDC 1, BPDC 1* until end. Join. (72 sts)
Round 7: CH 2. HDC in the 1st ST and in each ST around. Join. (72 sts)
(Switch to 94340 – the next lightest teal)
Round 8: CH 2. HDC in the third loop of the 1st ST and in each ST around. Join. (72 sts)
Round 9: CH 3. Puff ST in the 2nd ST, sk the next ST. *Puff ST in next ST and sk the next ST* until end. Join. (72 sts)
Round 10: CH 2. DCDEC over the 1st and 2nd STs, DC in the next. *DCDEC, DC 1* until end. Join. (48 sts)
(Switch to 194026 – the second darkest teal)
Round 11: CH 2. DC in the 1st ST and in each ST around. Join. (48 sts)
Round 12: CH 2, DCDEC over the 1st and 2nd STs, DC in the next. *DCDEC, DC1* until end. Join. (32 sts)
Round 13: CH 1. SCDEC over the 1st and 2nd STs, SC in the next 6 STs, *SCDEC, SC 6* until end. Join. (28 sts)
FO and weave in ends.
If you liked this messy bun hat free crochet pattern, please pin it and share it. If you want to receive an email when I post new content, please subscribe to my email list (check on the right sidebar if you want to subscribe).
As always, if you’ve got a question or a comment, I want to hear from you. Drop me a comment below.
I’d love to see your finished Polar Puff Messy Bun hats made with this messy bun hat free crochet pattern! Please share your finished makes by tagging the pattern on Ravelry, sharing it to our Facebook page or Instagram! Use #theloopylamb to share on Instagram for a chance to be featured in my Instagram Stories.
This pattern and its images are copyright protected and the sole property of Ashley Parker of The Loopy Lamb. Please do not resell, distribute, duplicate, or share this pattern in any printed or digital form, or claim this pattern as your own original design. Please do not use my photos when selling your finished items.
Feel free to sell the finished item created with this pattern but please provide pattern credit to The Loopy Lamb when posting online and provide a link to my blog: www.theloopylamb.com.
Please share your finished makes by tagging the pattern on Ravelry, sharing it to our Facebook page or Instagram. Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest